Sunday, January 3, 2010

Once in a Blue Moon

New Years Eve and last night were the nights of a rare Blue Moon. I was working on New Year's Eve, but I was able to go out last night and shoot a few pictures as the moon rose through the trees in the neighborhood. It's tricky to get a good shot of a full moon. It's so bright, that you can't see many details of the moon. And if you decrease the aperture to let in less light, you lose any hope of capturing the moon's surroundings.
These pictures are what I ended up with. These shots would look cooler in October, but if I wait to post them, I'll forget about them. :)

Aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length:147mm
ISO Speed: 200

Exposure: 1/10 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length:300mm
ISO Speed: 200

3 comments:

  1. These masterpieces of the eerie specter of a bright moon rising through silhouetted foliage in the dark of night truly reflect the genius of your photographic talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the moon shots.
    We went walking in eight-degree temps those nights just to be out looking at the full moon.
    Now we have your photos to remind us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! They are so beautiful. Your photos are really amazing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete